Skip to content | Wednesday, 27-May-2020 | Normal View | Site Map | Text size: Normal Large Extra Large


Click here to download the browsealoud software (this link will open in a new window)

Housing Options

Home Point will provide you with information on the housing options available to you.  From emergency accommodation through to owning your own property, Home Point Herefordshire is committed to ensuring that all its residents receive the appropriate advice and assistance in accessing the right type of housing to meet their needs.

It is important that you consider any move carefully and make your plans well in advance. Making sudden moves may result in making the wrong decision. It is important to consider which options are available to you taking into account your current circumstances and the finances you have available in the short and long term. Before you look to move home, there are some key questions that you should consider:

Why do I need to move?

Your reasons for moving will be an important factor in making future decisions. If you are living with friends / family and there is a relationship breakdown, there may be an opportunity for mediation or negotiation to enable you to stay longer.

If you are currently renting from a landlord and you have received notice to leave, then the Housing Solutions team may be able to negotiate with your landlord to help you to stay.

If you are struggling with financial problems, there are a number of agencies such as the Citizens Advice Bureau who can offer free advice to help you. Again you should contact the Housing Solutions service who will be able to provide advice on who to contact.

The important factor is that you need to think about your options and then decide what is right for you.

What options are available?

There are a number of housing options available and listed within this website you will hopefully find some useful advice. Using the Housing Options Wizard will let you print off a list of your options and point you in the right direction. Your move will be determined by your needs and circumstances but it is important that you take advice early on - especially if this will be your first move away from home.

Housing advice is the first stop for anyone with a housing problem or who need to leave their current accommodation:

Because of the shortage of housing in Herefordshire (and most other cities up and down the country), we cannot offer a house to everyone who has a housing problem, but we can advise you about alternative options.

If you have a housing problem, please contact us for advice. In some circumstances, we can arrange an appointment with an adviser.

We can offer advice and assistance to people looking for somewhere to live; realistic, up-to-date advice on housing locally and how to pay for it; information on private renting low cost home ownership, supported housing, mutual exchanges and downsizing; a range of solutions for reasonable preference group applicants, with practical assistance if appropriate and assistance with keeping your home.

We can provide advice and assistance on all matters relating to housing for residents of Herefordshire who are private tenants, leaseholders, owner occupiers or housing association tenants on your rights to stay in your home; rent and service charges arrears; housing benefit and welfare rights; paying for your accommodation; disrepair and housing standards; disputes with your landlord; tenancy deposits; negotiations with your landlord or mortgage lender; money advice to home owners on mortgage arrears and service charges; advice and assistance for private tenants who are being harassed or illegally evicted.

In some cases we may refer you for specialist advice and assistance.

Have a look in our downloads section for more information on renting and tenancy issues. 

Frequently asked questions

I am a private tenant or home owner

If you are a private tenant or home-owner and are threatened with homelessness we may be able to assist you in a variety of ways. First and foremost, we want to help you to stay in your home; in most cases this is the best solution. If this isn’t possible we can help you to find alternative housing.

If you are a home-owner we can provide advice if you are experiencing problems paying your mortgage. If you are a leaseholder in dispute over the terms of your lease or service charges we can also provide initial advice. You can also seek advice from the Leasehold Advisory Service.

If you are a private tenant we can offer help with many of the problems you may experience as a private tenant, including security of tenure, rent and service charge problems, and disrepair. We can also help if you have been served with a notice to quit or are suffering harassment or illegal eviction.

As a private tenant or home-owner you may wish to move for other reasons. For example, you may be overcrowded or want to move to a smaller home. Or perhaps you need to live in a different area or there has been a change in your circumstances and you feel your current home is no longer suitable.

I live with friends or family

Most people would like to find their own place to live. However, reasonably priced accommodation is very difficult to find so it is important that you plan any move carefully and use the Housing Options Wizard to look at what housing options are available.

I live in supported accommodation

If you are ready to move on from supported housing we may be able to assist you with finding alternative housing through the housing register. You can either speak to your support worker or contact us to speak with one of our advisers.

If you are in temporary accommodation provided by us, and you have a problem with the property, you can speak to our temporary accommodation team. Service.

I am an older person

As we get older our housing needs change and we often need to reconsider where and how we live to ensure a secure retirement. There are lots of reasons you might want to find out more about your housing options as an affordable housing tenant. As children and family move away to form their own households, you may no longer be able to cope or want to deal with a property that is too large or too expensive. You may decide that you would like to move somewhere quieter.

If you are a housing association tenant and would like to move to a new home more suitable for your needs there are a variety of options available to you.

Please contact us for advice on your options; we’re here to help.

I am a disabled person

If you have a disability and are finding it hard to manage at home you may be able to have some adaptations made to your property. You can be referred to specialist services that can advise you on adaptations and there may be grants available.

I am a young person

Many young people would like to leave home and live independently. However, reasonably priced accommodation is very difficult to find –particularly for those under the age of 18, so it is important that you plan any move carefully.

Housing Options

To apply for housing in Herefordshire you will need to complete our on-line self-assessment form (the Housing Options Wizard). If you are unable to complete the form by yourself and need some help you can contact us. It is called a self-assessment form because the degree of priority you get is based on what you tell us about your circumstances. However, before you are allowed to bid we will check all of the information you have given us to make sure it is correct and that you are entitled to the banding you have been awarded.

If we cannot confirm what you have told us you will not be allowed to bid.

The form asks for information about you and all the people you want to include on the application. We will need to know full names, dates of birth, your addresses for the last five years and your housing situation. It is a good idea to have all of this information ready when you make your application.

From November 2012, local housing authorities are required to give extra priority for social housing to certain groups. The Housing Act 1996 calls these reasonable preference groups. You can read about them on our Homepage.

What happens next?

After you have completed your form and we have confirmed that the information is correct we will write and tell you what banding you have, what size of property you can bid for what your waiting time is.

Once you have submitted the form we will place you on our housing register and send you a security number. You can use this at any time to look at your application and update it with any changes which might affect your application for housing.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy